Sunday 26 February 2012

The Kings' Mistresses: The Liberated Lives of Marie Mancini, Princess Colonna, and Her Sister Hortense, Duchess Mazarin ~ Elizabeth C. Goldsmith



Disclosure: I received a copy of this from the Goodreads First Reads program.

I was not familiar with the story of Cardinal Mazarin's nieces, therefore I came at this with the little knowledge that I knew of the times, which was more or less related to the Musketeers. Not precisely filled with loads of talk about women.

Goldsmith begins by providing a detailed view of the political landscape, particularly in France as well as establishing the links between the Court and the girls/women in their early lives. Once Marie and Hortense become separated through arranged marriages, I found the time lines a bit confusing. The approach is much as Tolkien in the Two Towers and beyond, each sister's story told in alternating chapters. As a result, there is a bit of repetition not to mention, multiple uses of some quotes. I felt that this constant need to catch up was a bit distracting.

However, I highly recommend the book for anyone interested in women and the ways in which they were expected to comport themselves, which is quite different than the men of the period; the madness of men when their wives fail to conform, or 17th century media.

Be prepared to, as I expect is the author's intent, to desire throttling the men AND women of the period. With men in want of controlling their wives, of women whose opinion of the sisters' escapades did nothing to but fuel the rumours of impropriety, I found it quite amazing that Marie and Hortense could plot such extravagant escapes without distraction.

This book would be a welcome addition to 17th Century France, women's rights bookshelves.

Publisher: PublicAffairs
Publication Date: 3 April 2012
Format: ARC of Hardcover

1 comment:

  1. sounds like a good read. on my list it goes.
    happy reading.
    http;//sidnereading.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete