Sunday 26 February 2012

Nordic Fairies ~ Saga Berg



Disclosure: I received a copy of this novella from the author.

The well written short work sets the tone and pace for a series about a "young" fairy couple (Svala and Viggo) who must endure a seemingly endless separation to ensure that good prevails over evil in our modern world. The story sets a firm foundation for the series. I really enjoyed the relationships between Svala and the other characters, and the author's acute ability to trace a teen's (and some adults') means of coping with tension by grabbing all the courage they can muster to build a facade of over-confidence only to end up horrified, embarrassed and humiliated by an unforeseeable catastrophe. We've all been there.

I really have no complaints or negative criticisms about the content, story, characters etc., considering it is a novella; but wonder why not give the story its head and let it become a full length novel? I was left wanting more; some of that I'm sure will be answered in future installments - as it should, but I was really left wondering about 'the training' - training for what? how are they meant to use it? Perhaps, giving away one simple example would tamp the frustration. Also, a little more about Svala and Viggo's lives, including the forbidden relationship prior to meeting their mentors. Also, I was given the impression that 'honesty' would factor strongly in the story, but nothing seems to have tested that...so far.

Okay, maybe that is a bit of a criticism, but it's basically meant to prevail on the author's sense of liberation - I'm not satisfied with just a bowl of ice-cream, I want the whole tub.

Publisher:Author
Publication Date: 2012
Format: ebook

2 comments:

  1. Well written review. Hugs P.S. I'm your newest linky follower :-)

    ReplyDelete