Sunday 26 February 2012

Sunburnt ~ M.D. Keating



Disclosure: I received a copy of this from the Goodreads First Reads program.

I was a bit surprised to see the story written in screenplay format, which I expect might be tricky for someone to read if they are unfamiliar with the style. On the other hand, for those used to reading screenplays, I think the size and book format might be easier to read when first pitched.

As a book reader; I find the format a bit distracting because one side of my brain is trying to process the project as a book, while the other half is attempting to visualize it. Having said that, I think many key elements for a really great story exist in the text, but it seems to lack some development, which as a script might be taken care of through visual keys. M

Much as others have noted, the end sort of gets away from the story. I'm still not sure why the media cared about the protagonist once the scandal was over and the rest of it just blazed through. I felt that a reminder of Murphy's career mid-way might have strengthened the story, as well if there had been more dialogue about the issues concerning his best friend.

Despite all that there are some notable strong points: most of the mob scenes are what one would expect, the relationship between the Murphy boys and their mother I thought was well worked, and I rather enjoyed the humour.

All in all, I think it needs a bit more development/filling out but does have the bones. Also, perhaps a change of format or a caveat that it is not a standard book.

Publisher: Author
Publication Date: January 2012
Format: Paperback

No comments:

Post a Comment